Sunday, August 28, 2011

Italia Mia 2011 - Note 6: Casa Mia

Monday, 18 April 2011 - 6:51 AM


Early rising after a restless night, perhaps because I'd gone too early to bed. That decision was the result of feeling chilled, suspecting a cold might be coming on and wanting to avoid physical setbacks. Too many people I've associated with while in Sorrento -- Domenico, Antonino's son Michele, Tonino Mastellone, workers at city hall -- have, or are recovering from, influenza, and I don't want to join their ranks. Once unmindful of threats to health, the so-called golden years and vivid memories of two bouts with pneumonia during these years, have fostered caution.


Seems I chose well, restless night or no -- feeling somewhat better this morning. Have had a few cups of coffee, quite flavorful now that I've mastered an espresso pot which had me at sea for a few days. Stepped out to the terrace to check my laundry, all securely on the clothesline after yesterday's strong winds which downed signs and pennants in the market stalls. The terrace, small but private, fenced by lush foliage masking an adjacent yard, boasted muted pastel colors in the misted dawn but with definite promise of the brilliant hues soon to appear. Bells from one of the nearby churches tolled. And though I've never met anyone from the neighboring cortile -- have occasionally glimpsed movement beyond the perimeter of greenery -- I heard this morning the faint, barely audible, beauty of a female voice. Puccini's Il Sogno di Doretta.


In many ways, I feel this time in Italy is like coming full circle. Certainly not as severe or demanding as my first time as an impoverished student, 1950 during the post-war Tempo della Miseria. But definitely unlike the many times I returned with groups or tours which featured fine hotels, the best restaurants, door-to-door transportation with full handling of luggage. Now I'm on my own with modest and limited resources as in '50-'51. This small studio-apartment has no maid service, no cable TV, not even a telephone (though Antonino's loaned me a cell). With the free frequent-flyer plane tickets and most basic accommodations I could get, am keeping costs minimal by shopping for and taking most meals in my room. Haven't thus far had any desire to tour, though I'll probably -- depending on weather and how schedules go -- want to take the ferry to Capri for an hour on the water. Don't need to wander Capri, as I've seen it a number of times and under great circumstances -- painting with students from Maryland Institute, for example; riding the chairlift to the top of the island, entering the Blue Grotto. But I love the crossing of the Bay to is reach l'isola; and in that way am like the Sorrentini, who go for the beauty of the trip, not for the tourists traps once there. Admittedly, walking I'm no longer accustomed to -- though I try not to over do it -- can quickly tire me, and there've been a few occasions, in Rome as well as here, when leg cramps shattered me with pain. But those times have been overly compensated by the absence of labored breathing -- if Italy has not been as warm as I expected it to be for this time of year, being at sea level has meant release from the exhaustion which follows the least exertion at Santa Fe's 7,000 feet!


Not on tour, living in a modest apartment on the floor above shops at street level, meeting again so many of the people I've met through the years, I feel as I did in 1950 -- that I'm not a visitor amidst the Italians, but am living among and with them. Throughout the long years of returns to Italy, I've always had the sense of return home once I'm on her shores -- despite my youthful ignorance, as a fourth-generation Italo-Americano, of her traditions and culture; and of my citizenship and loyalty to native USA which I served in World War II. That sense of Return Home is stronger than ever this time around in advanced age.

No comments: